Friday, June 5, 2009

Curly Stuff

Lots has happened this week. First off, I went to Shag Hair Studio this week to get a curly girl cut. I had a good portion taken off to get my hair to one length, instead of all those layers. I learned lots from Maria. So I've been practicing new techniques and trying new things. The biggest thing is using conditioner on my scalp once in a while. I have been worried this would be too much for my hair and would leave me looking really greasy. But I tried an exfoliating version of it this morning and my scalp feels clean and my hair is softer! The book, Curly Girl ,talks about using a mix of brown sugar and conditioner on your scalp once a week to exfoliate it. Well, I have been super itchy and have had dandruff since I stopped washing my hair everyday. So far this mix has helped, if the itching persists I am going to try the heavy whipping cream on my scalp, which is recommended in the book for itching in particular. The other thing I have been trying to get right is using clips on my hair to give it some lift at the root and to help encourage more curl/wavy. I feel like this makes the curls a bit looser in the front, but it helps the back. The back of my hair has always been a big problem for me. When I wore it straight it was wavy, now that I want it wavy it wants to be straight!!

In terms of knitting, I did some reorganizing of my stash this week. I stopped at the Container Store and got some cheap stuff (a three drawer plastic organizer thingy) to hold the yarn that was sitting in boxes and bags. I also did the unthinkable and pitched some things. Little bits of scrap yarn that wasn't going to be anything, some unfinished projects that were not ever going to be finished (like the first sweater I started making for Ollie that was in pieces and weird gauges). It felt good to let go of that stuff. Freeing. I still have a box of acrylic to use or donate and I need to make bookshelf space for my books (which are lining the wall now, instead of sitting in piles). I also still need a bigger binder to organize all my patterns which at least are all together now.

Well, that is all the news. I am off to finish my Crazy Monkey sock. I am ready to try out EZ's bind off on it. I'll have to take pics to post next time as I work on it's mate. I have a week and a half to finish it up before Knitters Connection and my Cat Bordhi class!! Can you tell that I am soooo psyched!!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try the brown sugar in the next week since I'm still transitioning and could use a nice exfoliating scrub.
    That sounds wonderful to be organized with your patterns, books, and yarn! I still have my patterns loose leaf and in plastic folders. Really, I should do like you and just make a binder :-)

    ReplyDelete