Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Kool Aid Experiment: Part 2

Okay, so I had a tie between combo 1 and 3 and ended up trying 3 (since I didn't know if I could pull off red). I also over dyed a skein of Trekking in yellow and orange. So here are all the pics and a description of what happened. Let's say things didn't turn out as expected!!


Here is the Trekking XXL that I overdyed. First yellow all over then orange in spots.


This is the Trekking after dying, while it is cooling.


And then with the variegated, things didn't go as planned. I read in several places (and some of your comments) that purple was hard to do. But I had heard mixing flavors could lead to a decent purple. So the plan was dye a pink all over and then do one end purple and the middle a brighter pink. This was to be my variegated. So the pink and purple went alright. Thought the purple got a bit carried away and the yarn sucked it up like crazy. At this stage things were more marbled (not intended, but liked and I was forewarned by Rowena that this would occur). So I liked the yarn here and should have stopped. The way the yarn sucked up the purple should have told me things would end badly.


So I didn't listen to my instinct yelling stop, I was having too much fun. And I tried doing a darker pink middle section. I put the yarn in for a second (I swear!!) to see what would happen and didn't like it at all. So I dyed the majority of it the red/hot pink. So the end effect was more of a tye dyed reddish pink and purple. I think next time I will try hand painting any 'variegated' yarn ideas I come up with.

Overall, I learned a lot. I learned that lighter colors need more than one pack to 50gm of yarn. That variegated isn't good unless you do a color study or hand paint. That overdyeing a yarn can be fun. And that you really can't predict the end results. Or at least I can't. Those of you who do this for more than fun and with more experience can...

I will post more pics when the hanks dry. And I will be doing much more yarn dyeing soon!! It was so much fun. Even if I did get carried away.

3 comments:

  1. not bad - I kinda like them- Although I really like the purple before it got pinked

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see them in person. I kinda like the pink/purple one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! you have your own blog!!! I had no idea! Yay!

    I left you a comment on my fb page, but I just happen to click on your profile too!

    I could never dye my own yarn.

    Never.

    Big mess.

    BIG. :)

    ReplyDelete