Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Kool Aid Experiment: Part One

I know I have been absent for awhile. I have been blogging over at my Hogwarts site this summer. However fall term is coming to an end in few weeks so you will be seeing more of me here.
Today, I am totally obsessed with the idea of dying my own yarn. I ordered some Knit Picks Bare Superwash in the fingering weight and picked up some colors of Kool Aid. I have been reading and watching videos about this process and am feeling confident that I can do this!! Part two of this experiment will be conducted later this week, so stay tuned for the dying process. Right now I want to take a little poll on which colors you want to see me dye. Here are your choices:
Combo 1 - Yellow, Orange, Red
Combo 2 - Pink and Blue
Combo 3 - Light Pink to a Purple Variegated
Be sure to cast your vote by noon tomorrow. Since I will be dying the yarn as soon as the mailman brings the yarn!!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to vote for combo 3. With the warning that purple tends to get really purple really fast in my limited koolaid dying experience. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for combo 3 too. I think that would be a pretty variegation! :) Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for either combo 2 or 3 because yellow is tricky to dye with other colors if it's your first time. I'm partial to combo 2 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done all 3 combos, and they all come out great. They knit up well too. If you decide to do yellow, grab the regular food coloring out of your cabinet and add a few drops to the kool aid to up the color a bit.

    And don't worry, the dye washes off your hands and nails in 2 or 3 days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, adding my 2 cents. I've tried dying with purple kool-aid and did not have a great result. The "grape" turns out a very muddy color and I didn't not personally care for it. If you want to do purple, I would use the wilton cake dies (and I know you have some of those since you just had cake classes).
    Kristie :)

    That being said, I think combo #1 and #2 are nice because those colors do turn out better.

    Another thought is before you dip your whole yarn or paint it, etc... you might want to snip off a little end and soak it to see how it comes out. I wish I would have done that first, but didn't think of it. Anyway, good luck. Dying is lots o'fun and I brought home a whole pack (10 skeins) of Bare-Happy Feet to dye! I'm very excited about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I voted for one- with the hope you will do tonals of those- not glaring bits- good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. I voted for option #1. I've done the Kool-Aid dyeing, and the colors (I didn't use purple, so no comments on that one) that I used came out very bright. Red, orange and yellow still look really good when they're bright, so that's my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for the purple/pink combo...and here's why. They way the red and blue dyes saturate the fabric leads to a neat marbly effect. It isn't quite varigated, more subtle than that and its very magical! So I'm basically completely disagreeing with at least one person above me. What I did (which was a complete accident) was use only 2 packets of grape to one skein of yarn (about half of what is suggested)...

    ReplyDelete